Before any contract is signed, before money is exchanged and you choose your SEO provider, there are important things you have to consider. This "bucket list" will enable you to discern the best services in the market from the jokers and liars!
1) The company you choose should be able to tell you what they can do for you. You should ask for an analysis from the company on what you online business lacks or has. Good SEO companies can give you a real overview of your online business. This will enable you to "zero in" on the areas you need help. It will also help in your decision making process when it comes to the SEO company.
2) Look at the company experience and services. The company you choose should have been in existence for at least a couple of years. The experience that they have gained in the market will aide them in providing you with good marketing solutions. Look at their work history and former client's finished SEO websites. This will show you what the company can do.
3) When it comes to decisions, information is the best weapon you can have! This means doing some serious research. Making a decision guided by your research will ensure your money does not go to waste. Be patient and talk to several companies before settling on one.
4) Ask the company about type of SEO services that they specialize in. Look at whether the company has a varied portfolio of services available. This includes SEO, directory submission, web design, article submission, back linking, social media strategies, etc. You should be looking for the most versatile company in the market or one tailored to your needs. You will be able to utilize the different aspects of SEO to climb the ranking hierarchy.
5) Remember to always work within your budget. You should look for a company that offers services you can afford. Compare the rates of different companies and different services so as to get an overview of what the whole process will cost you.
6) Ask friends, colleagues, companies, and small online business to refer you to good SEO companies. Since they have already used the company's services, they can tell you what to get, what to avoid, and what to expect.